Friday, April 2, 2010

Seeds of Change: Hummus


My immediate Food Revolution goal was to eat out less often.  And because I'm not the biggest fan of sandwiches, I knew that finding lunch alternatives would be tricky, but necessary.  So now, I'm exploring the world of wraps and pitas, finding different and interesting items to fill them with. 

One thing that really adds flavor, moisture, and nutrition to a wrap is hummus.  And when you make it at home, it saves a lot of money and lets you easily add whichever flavors you like best.  My favorite things to add to hummus are salsa or roasted red peppers.

The one thing missing from my hummus recipe is tahini.  Tahini is what makes hummus authentic, but I have to admit - I didn't buy it because it was a pricey item, and because I really do like it without the tahini.

I rate the homemade hummus a 5 Spoons, but Bo barely tasted it.  Evidently, he's not a fan, lol.

Enjoy!




Easy Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1-3 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp. cumin, or to taste

Drain half the liquid from the can of garbanzo beans.  Dump remaining liquid and the beans into a food processor.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.  Add additional ingredients for flavors, if desired.


Ingredient lineup:


Throw it all in the food processor and let it go:


Ideas for flavor mix-ins:
Chili paste + soy sauce, or salsa, or ranch dressing mix,
or roasted red peppers, or...


On crackers with cucumbers and mushrooms, mmmmm!

4 comments:

  1. Sara that looks awesome! I will have to try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now i can make this at my house..

    Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I L O V E hummus! It is very good for the South Beach diet my hubby is on.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry but I cannot and will not eat hummus not in a boat or with a goat, not in a car for a bar, or in a box with a fox :(

    Love you though!

    ReplyDelete

I'll trade ya a comment for a smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...