Friday, April 9, 2010

Sweet Potato Blondies



I was so inspired by Teresa's recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits that I began digging through my pile of recipes so that I could try out this one.  I figured that with all the sweet potato shreds, it would be a great semi-healthy dessert (yummy desserts are never truly healthy). 

And they taste freaking DELICIOUS!  But, they're greasy.  And flat....Here's where I have to confess - normally, I would have experimented with this recipe 2-3 more times, until I got it just perfect.  And then, I would have shared it with you here.  But!  This week?  I'm flipping exhausted.  And just didn't have the energy to make it more than once.  I'm so sorry, ladies!!  My thoughts?  I think the recipe needs to reduce the amount of butter.  And then maybe double the entire recipe to fill the pan up better?

So here's the deal - if one of you ladies comes up with a version of this recipe that eliminates the greasyness, I'll trade you one of my own recipes in exchange.  You pick what kind of recipe, and we'll trade.  Because I'm not yet ready to give up on these guys - the flavor is just that gooooooooood.

Enjoy?




Sweet Potato Blondies
adapted from allrecipes.com
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. peeled and finely shredded sweet potato

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.  Combine the dry ingredients in separate bowl.  Add to the butter mixture, 1/3 at a time, scraping the bowl before each addition.  Stir in the shredded sweet potato.  Spread batter evenly in prepared baking dish, then bake until it passes the toothpick test - approximately 30 minutes.  Allow to cool. 



Ingredient lineup:


Shred the sweet potato with the small hole on your cheese grater:


The batter before the sweet potato shreds:


And with the sweet potato shreds mixed in:


~~~~~   Here's where I need your HELP!   ~~~~~
Despite the amaaaaazzzzing flavor, these guys turned out greasy!
And wet in the center!

Seriously, if someone will bother with figuring this recipe out, I'll trade you.  A recipe or super-detailed instructions for something (other than my Cake Pops, sorry!), you just name your price :)

6 comments:

  1. OOOH! This recipe has possibilities! I'll have to play with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I was thinking REALLY? ANY RECIPE? Glad you threw in that condition at the end! They look yummy and good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaaaa, Mellisa! Yeah, I thought I'd better clarify, lol.

    Really tho - I want this recipe to work! It has such great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those look awesome! I would have to try but i'm with you i'm exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I said, I had a similar problem with recent batch of banana blondies, I reduced the fat by 30% and results were great. I think you have plenty liquids in the batter, what about reducing the butter to 3/4 or maybe even 1/2 cup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom would so love this..

    ReplyDelete

I'll trade ya a comment for a smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...