Monday, May 16, 2011

Buttermilk Chocolate Sheet Cake


Oh gosh, I'd completely forgotten about this amazing little cake. I've had the recipe in my notebook for years; so long, in fact, that I don't exactly remember where it came from. I think my friend, Becca, gave it to me? We definitely made it while we were roommates in Oregon, but beyond, that I'm not entirely sure! (Becca, if you gave me this recipe, thank youuuuu!)

This cake is the perfect homestyle chocolate cake that truly will put others to shame. It's beyond easy to mix up, and it will keep on your counter for days without becoming dry. What's also fantastic is that because you frost this cake while both it and the frosting are still warm, there's no need to wait for anything to cool. Which means that it's ready to eat 5 minutes out of the oven. Which means... instant gratification and instant chocolate cake fix!!

Also, my apologies for the lack of action-shot photos. I was racing to get this cake made before I lost all my daylight! But, you'll have to trust me that it's such an easy recipe to make that you don't need my silly photos anyway. I promise!

Enjoy!
Sara






Buttermilk Chocolate Sheet Cake
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. unsalted butter
⅓ c. cocoa
1 c. water
2 eggs
½ c. buttermilk
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
1 recipe Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10 or 9x13 cake pan; set aside. Combine dry ingredients except for cocoa in a mixing bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and 1 cup water. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the chocolate mixture to the dry mixture, and beat with a mixer on medium speed till thoroughly combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute; batter will be thin. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 25 minutes for 15x10 pan, 35 minutes for 9x13 pan, or until it passes the toothpick test. Pour warm Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly.




Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting
¼ c. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
3 Tbsp. buttermilk
2 ¼ c. powdered sugar, sifted
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ c. pecans, if desired

In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and buttermilk. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat till smooth with spoon. If desired, stir in nuts.


Uh.  YUM CITY!


This cake is even better if you eat it while it's still warm.  So, so, so good!




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I followed your recipe exactly. Such a fun cake to make. The frosting is amazing! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. turned out fantastic! we are having it for our first bbq of the year, amidst potential thunderstorms. thank you...Janet

    ReplyDelete

I'll trade ya a comment for a smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...