Thursday, June 16, 2011

Peanut Butter Chex Mix



You'll remember last Friday, I was ranting about snacks and the whatnot.  Well!  I got permission to post this family recipe, hurrah!  My roommate's Mom used to make up a batch and mail her gallon-sized ziplocs of it to keep handy for munching on.  As her roommate, I got snacks by proxy, and I begged for her Mom's recipe years ago.

I do need to warn you, though - This Chex mix is fairly addicting, and it's not what you'd call super healthy.  But, the  recipe is fantastic to keep on hand for when you need a snack with a little more oomf (to its credit, this Chex mix has a decent amount of protein, fiber, and carbs).  Also, this recipe can easily be made gluten-free and veganized by swapping out the cereal and/or butter for ingredients that fit within your diet.

Enjoy!
Sara






Peanut Butter Chex Mix

adapted from John's recipe


12 c. cereal (Chex, Cheerios, etc)
2 c. raisins
3 c. nuts (peanuts, almonds, etc)

⅔ c. natural peanut butter
½ c. unsalted butter
1 c. brown sugar
½ c. light corn syrup (or ½ c. honey + 2 Tbsp. water)

Preheat oven to 250o.  Mix cereals, peanuts, raisins, and nuts in a large oven-safe bowl or roasting pan.  Melt peanut butter, butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat (or in a microwave-safe dish).  Stir constantly and heat until bubbly around edges.  Pour over cereal mix and stir.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Makes 7 quarts.


Ingredient Lineup:


I microwaved the sauce until melted, gave it a good stir, and continued heating until bubbly.


Pour the sauce over the cereal mixture, and fold with a
heat-safe spatula until the cereal mixture is evenly coated.


The recipe makes A. Lot.


Yummmmmmm.

3 comments:

  1. Raisins?!?!?! Heretic!! I want nothing healthy like a raisin getting in the way of my Chex mix sinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate mine for breakfast today - very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this!! I have not been able to put it down. Amazing

    ReplyDelete

I'll trade ya a comment for a smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...